Posted on February 3, 2022
Posted on February 3, 2022
Go Lang and Node Js – these two technologies are considered the most promising backend technologies by the developer community worldwide. They both were first released in 2009 basically to develop server-side and networking applications. Go and Node.js are insanely fast and they are both good with multi-threaded programs (parallel programming).
GoLang is today’s top-most popular programming language. It offers top-of-the-line productivity, as well as multi-core power. Contrary to Go, Node equips developers with a complete development environment along with all the tools they need to achieve their goals. In order to make an informed decision, we should be aware of the pros and cons of each language.
Node JS (first released in 2009 by Ryan Dahl) is the single-threaded, open-source, cross-platform runtime environment for building fast and scalable server-side and networking applications.
Key Points: – Easy, Scalable, Fast, Packages, Strong Backend, Multiplatform, Maintainable
There are some strengths and weaknesses to Node.js, and we’ve discussed them below, in order to figure out which projects may benefit from it.
The first Node.Js advantage that makes Node.js a great choice for most developers is its Java heritage. It is most popular right now with millions of free tools, a highly accessible library, and an active community. Currently, there are more than 400 million downloads and thousands of free tools in the package module
1. Reduces Time to market apps: time to market is one of the essential benchmarks of quality and performance for many. Since Node.js is lightweight it enables developers to accelerate the overall development speed.
2. Libraries: Highly extensible library, ready to use codes and other resources from GitHub which in turn saves a lot of coding time and effort.
3. Lesser loading time: Reduces loading time by quick caching.
As a matter of fact, The eBay team quickly embraced node.js advantage by adding it to their stack, since they wanted the application to be ultra-fast and manage live connections with the server in real-time. The Node.js framework proved to be the ideal resolution to handle a large number of data to display in microseconds.
4. Concurrent request handling: Since Node.js is providing the options of non-blocking I/O systems, it helps us to process requests simultaneously.
6. Scalable: we can easily add extra nodes to scale the application horizontally, and add a resource to scale the application vertically without affecting the entire application’s speed and performance.
Walmart benefited immensely by replacing its legacy systems with the deadly combination of microservices architecture and Node.js. The retail giant saw an instant growth in overall conversion of 20% and a 98% boost in mobile conversion. In addition, not only did they save 40% of the computing power, but they also slashed costs by 20-50%.
7. JSON support: One can use JSON to provide the scope for the exchange of data between the web server and the client. It has its built-in API for developing HTTP, DNS, TCP, etc… servers
8. Better performance: Multitasking without clogging RAM and its event loop and non-blocking I/O allows code execution at a pace both of these make Node.js highly performing.
By using node.js, LinkedIn’s development team was able to reduce server counts from 30 to 3. They also realized that resource delegation and utilization were more efficient since they were no longer focused on troubleshooting but instead were able to focus on application development.
10. Customized requirement: Node.js can be easily extended and customized for rapidly growing enterprises.
11. Cross-platform: It can run across Windows, Mac, Linux without editing the code.
12. Extraordinary tech stack: It is a part of a popular MEAN tech stack ( the combination of MongoDB, Express.js, Angular, and Node.js – four tools that handle all crucial aspects of web app development) and this is the reason some experts assume that Node.Js is the future of web development.
GoLang is a procedural, multiparadigm, open-source programming statically typed, cross-platform, a lightning-fast programming language created by Google developers (that were unhappy with existing languages.) in 2009. It incorporates the best features of other programming languages, it is similar to C, C++ in terms of performance and security and it combines the speed of python. According to the words of Rob Pike “Go is supposed to combine the safety and performance of statically compiled languages with the lightness of dynamic RTP’d ones.”
Go is a statically tuned, compiled programming language designed at Google by Robert Griesemer, Rob Pike, and Ken Thompson. Go is syntactically similar to C, but with memory Safety, garbage collection, structural typing, and CSP – style concurrency. Wikipedia
Key Points: – Standard Library, speed, garbage collection, analysis tools.
It is no secret that GoLang programming language usage has grown rapidly in recent years. It seems that nearly every startup is using it for backend systems. There are many reasons that developers find it attractive, while there are a few points that make it less liked among programmers
According to the TIOBE Index for GO, there has been a steady increase in the popularity of the Go language, it has gained one position more than the previous year. Securing its place at number 13.
1. Open Source: it is very important for a programming language to be open source to become better, cleaner, and more efficient. If a code has defects GoLang developers will detect and eliminate the problem.
By using open-source GoLang libraries, Dropbox has improved its caching, standard error interface, and connection management.
2. Learning curve isn’t steep: it’s easy to learn Go as it looks almost similar to other languages learned. The documentation is also easy.
3. Incredibly fast performance with heavy loads: Simple structure and syntax, devoid of class and inheritance, mainly works with functions so it’s simple and fast to learn. It is compiled so it provides faster feedback hence saving time and money.
GoLang is used by Daily Motion to automate API calls and end-to-end test cases. It is fast and powerful, so they choose GoLang for automating huge volumes of testing. Most backend projects are in GoLang because of its performance, static type checking, and simplicity.Even Twitch is using a combination of C++ and GoLang for delivering high-quality video streaming.
4. Ease of concurrency: with this open-source programming language concurrency is tractable and very easy. Requests are processed faster, freeing the resource for the network.
Uber which earlier used Node.js and Python has recently migrated to Go owing to its concurrency, and Go Memory model. They got high performance in throughput and latency. The response time was <5ms at the 95th percentile, and <50ms at the 99th percentile. They have written the Geobase program using GoLang.
5. Cross-platform: It can be compiled cross-platform to Windows, Android, Linux, and many more.
6. Easy Compilation: As Go has no virtual machine, it compiles directly to machine code.
7. Collecting Trash: The language makes it easier for the developers to perform activities like memory management by handling all runt work by itself.
8. The richness of the library: as it is adapted from C, C++, Java it has almost a collection of libraries similar to that of those.
9. Scalable: As it was designed by Google it was designed with scalability in mind and has many built-in functions to handle concurrency. An application can be scaled using Goroutines and Channels.
SendGrid’s earlier used python/Twisted has now switched to GoLang and they need to send over 500 million messages a day and they need a highly customizable, reliable, and scalable API. (Medium)
The fabric used GoLang for easy linear scaling and simplicity of code.
10. Cloud designing: Microservice and cloud computing are two great uses of Go. It is lightweight and cross-platform. Moreover, it compiles really quickly. So it is said to the language of the cloud.
Given its nature, Go is best suited to projects with growing user numbers and a large volume of requests.
GoLang is a procedural, multiparadigm, open-source, cross-platform, lightning-fast programming language created by Google developers in 2009 (dissatisfied with existing languages). Consequently, it combines the best functions of several programming languages, has similar performance and security characteristics to C, C++ with the speed of Python.
With the continuously changing requirements companies tend to switch to the latest or up-to-date tools and technologies in order to achieve the best performance. Below are some ‘BIG NAMES’ that adopted either node.js or GoLang depending upon their backend requirement. Some even migrated from node.js to go and vice versa.
|Companies using Node js||Companies using GoLang|
|Technology tools||Technology platform|
|Trello, Heroku, Coursera, Figma, Asana, Speed test||Dropbox, SendGrid|
|NASA, Yandex, BBC, Washington Post, New York Times|
|Online Booking||Online Booking|
|Uber||Uber, Delivery Hero, Trivago, Sixt|
|Ecommerce and retailers||Ecommerce|
|eBay, Walmart, Groupon||Alibaba, Allegro, Mercadolibre|
|Fintech and digital payment||Fintech|
|Citi Bank, Revolut||solarisBank, Monzo Bank, Capital One|
|Web browsing and hosting||Payment Processing|
|GoDaddy, Yahoo, Mozilla Firefox||American Express, PayPal, iZettle, Bolt|
|Netflix, Spotify||SoundCloud, Twitch, Movio, Dailymotion, youtube|
|Online blogging and networking platform||Chat Platform|
|Medium, LinkedIn, Twitter, UpWork||Stream, Clever, Slack|
|Data processing||Data processing|
|Samsara, TIBCO||Samsara, TIBCO|
|Real-time event Platform||Real-time event Platform|
|Riot Games, Nakama||Riot Games, Nakama, Farmville, Sarvest swap, Dawn of titans|
|Browsing and other|
Both Node.js and Go have distinctive advantages and disadvantages below. We have tried to highlight the differences depending on different parameters like architecture, speed, extendibility, error handling, syntax, universality, learning curve, and where to use.
Refers to the structure of the software system. Explains how the software behaves.
The architecture of Node JS helps in high speed and performance
|Speed and performance
Performance measures how quickly an application performs a task. The faster the code executes, the faster the response time.
All the above points make Node JS perform with high speed and performance
So is slower than Compiled GoLang
In terms of raw performance of memory-bound tasks, GoLang is a better option.
|Node Js error handling mechanism is based on a throw and catches approach which is already quite popular among developers
Though it sometimes displays some consistency issues at the end
|GoLang error handling demands explicit error checking to make it difficult to find the cause of the error
Though the end result is consistent and flawless
|Used for both backend and frontend development
Used to develop web apps, desktop, and hybrid mobile apps, along with cloud IoT solutions
Its cross-platform means a single desktop application that will work on Windows, Linux, and Mac.
|GoLang can be used mainly for back end development
It’s cross-platform so the Go Program can run on Mac, Linux, and Windows
Great for web and desktop development which need high security
Weak for streaming
|Where to use|
|Real-time data streaming
Only one language
Although Node.js and GoLang are very different technologies, both are excellent choices for building robust and reliable backends. In development charts, Node.js often tops the list, but Go isn’t far behind. Both are renowned for their scalability, efficiency, and reliability. Node.js lacks concurrency and shows a decrease in performance where computing is required, Go seems less effective with real-time data streaming and intensive data processing.
Please take a moment to send some basic details of what you need done and we will get back to you swiftly