Posted on May 19, 2021
Posted on May 19, 2021
The realm of iOS app development has taken a spiral upwards. The Apple App Store offers 2.2 billion apps. Statistics reveal that viewers spend a high amount of time on the App Store.
Ease of development, high profits, unified UI, and a minimal design approach are compelling reasons that push the development of iOS apps.
Clubhouse, the famous audio-only social media platform was only available for download on Apple devices. The users had to send an invitation to use the app. The live-audio app was highly popular amongst the people after tycoons like Elon Musk appeared on a live-audio.
The employment sector has seen a sharp increase in iOS development as due to COVID-19 pandemic the demand for medical devices, health apps, E-learning, etc., has increased significantly. Those who are willing to invest their time and effort will definitely have promising careers.
So if you’re looking to build the next highly popular iOS apps and capture the market, you’re going to have a tough time because the benchmark needs to be matched when you enter any market.
Choosing the right iOS developer becomes crucial because if you don’t have the right development team,
When hiring iOS developers, it is important to check their core competency, robust knowledge and expertise.
Here are some of the top skills that a recruiter should look for in an iOS developer.
1. Proficiency in Xcode and Interface Builder: For one to be a skilled iOS app developer, one must add proficiency in XCode as a primary object to offer a majestic user experience. With the right knowledge of interface building, a professional combines it with the Cocoa Touch framework that has developed apps for several platforms. Therefore, it encourages a developer to allow several Apple services like Game Changer, Passbook, etc.
2. Knowledge about Auto Layout: Another important aspect of being an iOS app developer is to have an in-depth knowledge of Auto layout, which allows the developers to create a user interface by establishing a relationship between elements. To get incredible control over layout with wider customization so as to get the perfect interface, the Auto layout is a must. Being such a fantastic tool, Auto layout performs actions that could not be imagined earlier.
3. Knowledge of Containers and Storyboards: With the right knowledge of containers and Storyboard, an iOS app developer will make your app look easy to operate. Be it fixing small bugs or dividing complex navigation flow into manageable sub-flows, the right knowledge of the storyboard feature immediately shows the results to the actions.
4. Knowledge of Table Views: Being a user, you might have a raw knowledge about table views, but it is more versatile than one can imagine. When your iOS app developer has the right idea about the table view, you will understand that it offers an altogether different look to an otherwise boring interface.
5. Skilled in databases: The iOS development framework revolves around different databases. It is important for the iOS developer to brush their skills on the most common databases. Some of the popular databases that are deployed in iOS development are Realm, SQLite, and Core Data.
7. Practical knowledge of Swift 3.0 programming language: Swift 3.0 is the most favoured language used in iOS app development. One should be as efficient in Swift 3.0 as a cricketer is in catching a ball. Perfect knowledge of the Syntax, inheritance, classes, and switch statements at a beginner level will give you an upper hand over your competitors.
8. Spatial Reasoning Ability: Spatial reasoning ability is the main prerequisite for application development. All the apps are created bearing in mind the perspective of the user. How will the user use that specific app? This is another important consideration. Brainstorm to get all the essential facts and parameters to provide unparalleled user experience. If you think from the user’s viewpoint, you will be able to design a more intuitive interface and compute better functionalities. Being a developer, it’s your ultimate responsibility to design a profitable and productive app.
9. Knowledge of Design Guidelines: Your iOS app will catch the attention of the users only when it is highly intuitive. The reason is their strict adherence to the design guidelines. A highly skilled professional knows how to exactly handle and display the data to the audience. So, the knowledge of the designing guidelines is a must for intuitive iOS applications.
10. Proficiency in Grand Central Dispatch: If you wish to run multiple tasks simultaneously and without any hindrance, GCD or Grand Central dispatch allows you to add concurrency to the apps. As iOS applications perform multiple tasks at the same time that include pulling data from the network, displaying relevant information on the screen, reading touch inputs, and a lot more, running all these at the same time can be quite stressful on the handset. This might lead to slowing down of the phone or even crashing. Concurrent programming from the developer’s end will prevent a crash and improve the user experience.
11. Hands-on experience about Integration of Data Assets: Data is the most important entity. Data integration offers robust ways to use all the available data to ensure the right application development. The iOS developers must have a sound experience of working with different data integration systems. He/she must have a deep understanding of data capability models, data roles, and data governance.
12. Knowledge of Integration with Third-party APIs: Not relying on third-party apps will make the task for iOS app development an easy task. This can speed up the development cycle to a large extent. Also, one can choose the ones that are well tested and that get updated and maintained consistently.
13. Experience in Unit Testing: Working with the team of developers one realizes that multiple developers submit their codes one over the other on a single project and this might lead to breaking of functionality. And to discover a broken functionality late, and unravelling it can be a nightmare. So, for being a professional developer one must be well acquainted with creating a test suite for validating the functionality of the app.
14. Skilled in Source Control: Source code means keeping a control on all the changes that are made in the source code. There are different source code management systems that help the developers reduce and resolve all the conflicts that arise during the source integration. Source control is an integral element of application development. A good hands-on experience in source control helps the developers to collaborate with the team and streamline the development phase.
15. Knowledge of Concurrency: Dealing with lots of things simultaneously is what is required from a well-curated iOS application. Lack of concurrency can lead to the freezing of apps while performing heavy tasks. Multithreading helps you to incorporate a blend of concurrency and parallelism into your program.
16. Experience in Memory Management: iPhone and iPad devices are resource-constrained on memory. An iOS app developer must have appropriate knowledge that an app might terminate in case it crosses the established per-process limit. So, successful memory management can be vital for implementing an iOS app.
Other than these highly technical skills, iOS developers must possess many non-technical abilities to satisfy employers and ensure the timely delivery of effective outputs.
1. Great communication skills: When you are able to communicate with the client or the business owner, you can present the best possible outcomes as per his expectations. Undoubtedly, great communication skills not only help the developers to understand the clients’ requirements but to present better suggestions in any scenario.
2. Problem-solving ability: While making a successful mobile app, one comes across multiple challenges that might creep in at any point of development. The right mindset and problem-solving ability with a positive attitude can do miracles.
3. Team player attitude: Developing a well-curated iOS app is not a task that can be handled single-handedly. Perfect teamwork goes behind meeting client’s expectations and getting the desired outcome. One must be a good team player to bring out the best meeting the client’s needs.
4. Ability to Innovate: It is not always that your client will have a clear image of what he expects from his/her iOS application. You will have to use your innovative skills to come up with the best application that is both user-friendly and profitable from the business point of view.
5. Discipline and dedication: These qualities cannot be replaced whether you work independently or with a team of developers. Meeting the deadlines and working with utmost dedication is always demanded from every professional. A disciplined approach towards work will not only produce better outcomes but will also leave an ever-lasting impression on your employer.
6. Clear Thinking Ability: An iOS developer should have a rational thinking approach. He/she must be able to recognize and analyze all the questions and find the solutions thereof. One should be able to introspect ideas critically and then come up with valid arguments to justify his/her suggestions.
Now that you’re done with knowing the skills every iOS developer must have, you need to understand how you are going to make the right choice.
Recruiting the right iOS developer may seem a daunting task. It is important to have a basic idea of the technical know-how of iOS to find the right talent. Make sure you ask the right questions and conduct right tests to procure the best candidate.
Here is a sneak-peak at some of the important questions you must ask to iOS developers:
Apart from asking these technical questions, it is essential to ask a few behavioural questions to the developers. Ask them if they have some mentoring experience. This can help you decide if you can deploy that specific person to train the newcomers.
An online coding test of the developer will help you understand and test the coding skills. Make sure the test bears close resemblance to the natural development process.
As the iOS environment keeps on changing with time, an iOS app developer should keep himself up-to-date. UI kit and Foundations are two useful libraries that a developer must be aware of. So, when you hire an iOS app developer make sure that they have enough skills to use these libraries effectively and frameworks to build and set up the required software.
Hiring an iOS developer is crucial and hence you must know all the above skills and questions that you can consider before hiring iOS developers.
If you are on the verge to select some iOS developers, we’ve got some brilliant ones. Share with us the exact requirements you have and let’s discuss how our iOS developers can be the right ones for your iOS app development.
Please take a moment to send some basic details of what you need done and we will get back to you swiftly